Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer Reading Challenge

One of the hard parts of being a mom/student/spouse is finding time for myself.  Lately my big indulgence is reading (or listening to audio books actually).  Danielle is sponsoring a summer reading challenge to read 10 books, so here's my list in progress.

1. Alcoholics Anonymous, because I'm taking that elective this summer on alcoholism and addiction and maybe another in the fall. Relevant reading yall.
2. Timeline by Michael Crichton, because it's great and a good summer re-read.  Audio book this time.
3. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman, because I had no idea I'd be in healthcare the last time I read it. Cross-cultural healthcare is a much more complicated thing than I ever imagined.
4. 50 Shades of Grey, since it's the hip thing to do. It's part of a trilogy, so that accounts for books 5 and 6 as well.
7. Science Ink by Carl Zimmer, because nom nom nom, new tattoo ideas! I'm saving up for my next one and debating what it will be, so maybe this book will have some ideas that inspire me. Plus it's beautiful.
8. The Spark: The Revolutionary Science of Exercise and the Brain, to gear up for another elective AND getting my butt in shape already.
9. Suggestions welcome! I'm sure I'll think of more things to add.

EDIT:
9. Why Your Prescription Takes So D*** Long to Fill by the Drug Monkey because any profession that can't laugh at itself is doing it wrong.  This book makes me laugh incredibly hard because it is true, and if you miss the humor in a day at the pharmacy, you get stuck in the sad/miserable/awful/mind-numbing stuff.  I'm somewhere in the middle of this book and reading it slowly so I can savor it.

No comments:

Post a Comment