At present, there are a few quandries running around in my head, so yall out there reading this (the 5 of you), suggestions welcome. My brain is very heavily into school and school alone at this point (and yes, I can tell you the starting replacement dose for almost any electrolyte you'd like to have, thanks very much), which makes this burning desire to nest really challenging.
1. First to second floor communication with sleeping baby/kid: We have this lovely 2 story house that's pushing a century old. Much of it gets awful cell phone reception, and we only have one anyway, meaning we could call from the cell upstairs to the land line downstairs, but the land line resides far from the living room/future baby territory. Do we get another phone so the land line is upstairs as well and could be called from gchat in case of emergency or do we try walkie talkies? Or does the sleeping parent get the couch and the infant care parent get another room on the same floor? Previously with the kid, we took 3 hour shifts for rocking/diapering/whatever while the other person slept, and in case of actual kid sleep, we could call in early to get help moving the babe without waking. I imagine some of this is in our future, so I'm hoping to develop a plan.
2. Split level baby accommodations: the spouse thinks one Little Monster bed is adequate, I think that perhaps we should have a downstairs bed as well. We have one fancy changing pad and it will be upstairs in the kid room, and we'll have somewhere downstairs to change Little Monster too, but then there's the consideration of where the primary dirty diaper storage will happen (or if two small storage receptacles are better). We've never had two real floors before (plus a basement) so no idea how this might work. Help?
3. How long do you do "rooming in" anyway? The kid slept in our room until she was 6 months, and the first 3 or so was on purpose with the next 3 happening because we had one room.
4. Cat troubles: Currently the adult bedroom has a door (read: is cat-free at night because zie is a bed hog) and the child bedroom does not, so the cat sleeps on the recliner in the kid's room (likes people I guess). In the mornings, if nobody is awake at Cat Feeding O'Clock (time varies, but is usually about 5:45am), the knocking of all the things onto the floor commences, and then the meowing at our door if nobody is awoken by the ruckus. Do we need to prevent the cat from terrorizing Little Monster as a way to wake everyone, or do we wait to see if Fluffinella realizes this is an option first, and should we be keeping the cat out of the crib even before it's occupied regularly (aside from the pirate octopus festive bedding, that is)?
5. Is there an app that does all the things that the Itzbeen timer times, and can I make it sync across iDevices and/or the internet itself (a web interface too)?
6. The life raft maternity pillow: should it come to the hospital too or do I beg for adequate alternative hospital-issued pillows? It is a bit big and hard to wash, but sooooo comfy...